Music

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I learned while making a music video.

This morning we did the last shoot for my music video: the porch scene. I got the idea from another music video and thought it would be fun to be sitting on a cute little porch with my guitar with a few friends sitting around me. After all the other shoots, I didn't expect anyone to come this morning, but I got four people and that was good enough for me. Darren and his crew were on time as always and were awesome with their work. I don't know anything about filming or cameras or cinematography or anything like that at all, but I do know that I appreciate everything they did. They were prompt, efficient, flexible, helpful, and funny. Freaking hilarious.

Bisquick. Inside joke. Boom.

Anyway, here is some of what I learned (or relearned) while having this video made:

1. Some people are awesome friends who have your back and are willing to sacrifice their time and energy just for the sake of being your friend and they support you selflessly.

2. Most people do not fit into that category. Most people are flaky, appathetic, or (at least a little) selfish (and I don't mean that in an ignorant or self-righteous or accusing way). I understand that people are busy and have their own lives and things that are important to them, and I'm not saying I expect every single person I invite to something to drop everything and be there at the snap of my finger. I'm also not saying that I am a completely selfless person or that I go to everything people ask me to come to. But, if someone claims to be a good friend of mine, and/or they promise to come to something - especially something I personally invite them to and tell them that it is super important to me and that I need them - and then they just don't without even saying anything, that hurts my feelings a little.

But I'm trying not to take it personally. Because of course, this was my video, my music, and I can't expect people to care. I had just hoped that more people would want to be involved so that the video and my music WOULDN'T just be about me, but about everyone. And I intentionally tried to make the events for the video be things that were fun in and of themselves, with or without a camera. I mean, it's summertime, and sometimes people complain about having nothing to do. Oh well. So much for wishful thinking.

3. I am a very blessed girl. I have an incredibly supportive family and I cannot ignore the few friends I do have who have my back no matter what.

My older sister Kirsten told me I could offer free mini photo shoots to people to convince them to come to my early morning shoot. My mom came to the water balloon fight just to watch and be there for me. My little sister Des came to the water balloon fight and the porch scene. My roommate filled up 100 water balloons and came to 4/5 of the events. A couple people came to two or three events. My dad helped me fill up 100 water balloons and let me use his coolers and camping chairs and marshmallow sticks. Darren offered to make the music video and handled everything without me having to worry about it. He brought muffins and water bottles to the shoots. Dan, Mike, and Ben also came to everything and filmed and took pictures and everything.

I'm probably not giving enough credit to all the people who deserve it, but I'm trying.

Thank you.

As for the rest of today, Des and I went to Green Valley Spa to swim and tan. And then I had lunch at my parent's house. And now I'm at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment